Saturday, September 14, 2013

Flipping for Sharks... and Arcade.

I was given a chance to snap a photo celebrating Arcade's 1 year anniversary, and ~Oceania Breedables~ sponsorship of the event.   I'm pretty proud of the result myself, but then I've always been a sucker for vivid and bright colors.   So that might be a matter of personal opinion.  In fact I'm almost 100% sure it is.  99.89777%.  

It is always surprising when someone else likes my photos, because I feel I'm learning a great deal about 'how' to take them and feel I have a long way to go still.  My pictures are always just things that catch my eye that I find unique in some way, or were taken purely to see if I am capable of setting up the shot and snapping the photo exactly the way I intended.  


The largest challenge to date is always taking photos with other avatars.  Poseballs are a tool, but the patience of my friends is a gift.  I try to get every detail except windlight finished before the other avatar arrives, but windlight and shadow angles can be an exercise in creativity and frustration.  And because my friends are both easy going and sharp as tacks; they can point out ways to improve the shot that I hadn't thought of.  Or half the time they'll just move the wrong way which results in having to reposition my angle and eureka!  The new angle works better than the old did.   


But hey, telling them they ruined a perfectly good shot keeps them from moving again.  You can tell them they helped you create a great shot when it's done.  Or after they point out a curious crease in your pose that (ahem) does not look right from any angle.  

Remember Kids: Friends don't move.  Real friends jump... to tell you about your creases.

My favorite photos are usually tied into Oceania in some way.  I'm a beach kid to the core... the ongoing anecdote in the family is I have the personality I do today because I learned to walk with sand in my diaper.  My only reply is that I'm the posterchild for a sunny fucking disposition, thank you very much.

The ocean continues to be a source of fascination to me both in RL and SL.  Having a chance to tie together two of my favorite things in SL: Oceania Breedables and the Arcade Event, was a particularly fantastic experience and I hope to do it again.